Wednesday 14 October 2009

Answers to your Questions

Who or what inspires you most in the world?

I can’t say that any one thing inspires me the most. I guess I’m constantly absorbing so much (from places like blogs, books, magazines, shows, fashion shows, photographs, people, an endless list of sources really) that it all just gathers and forms ideas. I hate to force it; it never works when I try to anyway!

But really I like to think of ‘being inspired’ as that feeling that I get when I’m on top form, I’m on fire and creating my best work, all with confidence and enthusiasm, I’m keen to stay up nights to get things done, I know that I can do even the most difficult things, I can’t bear to put something down until it’s finished. I’m never short of ideas when I feel like this and a million and one things can influence them.

This doesn’t come to me in some divine vision, a flash of inspiration, or from looking at an artist’s work and feeling all alive with creativity, it comes from a confidence and ambition that appears when people have encouraged me, sometimes unknowingly, by succeeding and achieving. Seeing people doing brilliant and brave things inspires and excites me.



Who are you style icons?

I don’t really idolise anyone in particular when it comes to style, I think because my idea of what style is, is still developing, so I change my mind frequently. Having said that, I can’t beat a bit of Alexa Chung at the moment. I get bored of seeing the same look over and over, but she never fails to surprise me with what she wears and always looks amazing. I love that charming British look.



What’s your favourite food?

Potatoes. In any form. I don’t think I ever have a meal that doesn’t feature them in one way or another, ‘tato monster, that’s me.



Who’s your first crush?

Oh dear. It was Peter Andre, the first time around. I had a t-shirt that made the wearer look like they had his abs – seriously! My bezzie and I went to see him in Liverpool when we were about 10, I think. She cried (real tears) when he came on stage, and I was equally as in love.



Do you like pudding?

HELL YES!
What’s your favourite dessert?

Any form of sticky, chocolatey, moisty, cakey, sundae-y goodness is good with me. Melt in the middle chocolate puddings from M&S are a particular weakness. Ooooh and Ben & Jerry’s chocolate fudge brownie frozen yoghurt. Yum.



What’s your favourite place in the world?

Home, with Dan and my doggles. No matter what adventures I’ve been up to, it’s always the best feeling to come home to my own place with my favourite fellas!



Have you ever felt like if you don’t have that thing you’re so in love with, your life will lose its sense?

Peter Andre, haha! I seriously did. Please remember, I WAS TEN.



Who inspired you to start blogging? /What made you want to make a blog?

Nobody in particular inspired me really. I started it for a combination of reasons. I wanted somewhere to document my thoughts on fashion, and a reason to keep on looking for new things that inspire me, I didn’t want to get lazy with it all after I finished university. I like to have an occasional rant, and thought it would be a nice little bonus if someone actually wanted to read said rant once in a while!



What is your favourite chocolate or type of sweets?

I love ANY KIND of chocolate, but sweets, not so much. I think I’m more of a savoury snack kinda gal; pistachios and crisps are my snack of choice.



Would you rather work for a magazine or a designer?

Oh a magazine, without a doubt. Vogue please! I’m sure I would learn a ridiculous amount by working for a designer, but I don’t like the idea of working for someone else. I’m so content working on my own label, with my own ideologies and aims; I don’t want to be restricted by anyone else's, there are enough constraints as it is. The not so arty farty romantic reason; I want all the dosh for myself! I'm eager to work VERY hard, but for me, and my family, not to fill the boss's pockets.



What’s your favourite piece of clothing?

That it an impossible question! I’ll have to narrow it down and say my favourite item this week, is my new (blue suede with a tassel) over the knee boots. I’ve worn them so much I think they have become my second skin and fused to my flesh.



How old are you?

I’m 24. Look about 17. Until you get close and see THE WRINKLES!



Will you post more pics of yourself and Lord Wallace in the future?

I’ve actually been thinking that I would like to make this blog more personal, so yes, absolutely.


Who’s your favourite fashion designer?

All time favourite is Ossie Clark. But Christopher Bailey, Oscar de la Renta and Valentino Garavani are pretty darn amazing too.



What has been your biggest accomplishment in your life so far?

Hmm, I don’t know, I have a few things that I’m proud of, for different reasons. Finishing uni is one, going off and working in different countries on my own is something I rank highly on my accomplishment scale. I also consider it a big deal that I’ve found a career that I (think) I’m good at, and absolutely love and am excited about. I’m pretty sure that the successful (fingers crossed) opening of my shop will win this title when it happens though!



Do you know any good vintage stores in the UK?

I know very little about vintage and find that that world can be a bit snobby don’t you think? I like pretty clothes, whether they’re technically ‘proper vintage’ or not and I love a bargain, so my favourite vintage shops are not the expensive ‘proper places’ but more the type where you can find a dress or a bag for a few quid, the ones like ‘Vintage’ in Leeds that reek of old people and must and you can practically swim through the piles of crap, have a good root in and fish out the occasional gem. I also like the collections that labels like Old Romantic do, reworking vintage dresses into pretty, contemporary pieces, but not particularly because they’re vintage and it’s cool or whatever, just because they’re lovely.



What’s your favourite perfume?

I actually don’t wear perfume. I’m allergic to lots and I get overwhelmed at the perfume counter with the choice, after having sprayed 30 different ones up my arm, I can’t tell which is which and I tend to panic buy one that I will never even use! (Recommendations are more than welcome).



What inspired you to open up your own shop?

I can't remember when I first had the idea, it’s something I’ve known I’ve wanted to do since I began my fashion career. As with many independent boutique owners, it comes from looking for certain things from existing shops, and not being able to find it. Fine then, I'll do it myself !

I won't rant about what it is that Tessies will have that your average retailer does not, I'll save that for a special rant all of it's own, (heehee).

Anyway, the decision to actually go ahead with such a daunting task, was heavily influenced by my boyfriend Dan. He’s so ambitious and successful, it’s infectious. He’s not afraid to take risks, and I love that. I also read ‘Feel the Fear and do it Anyway’ and I was raring to go after that!